Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Amazing Staircase



I love this!!!!

For my birthday two years ago I received a Kindle. I was a little apprehensive at first, wondering if I would miss the weight of a book in my hands, bookshelves lined with the Classics nestled between Everything I Need to Know I learned in Kindergarten and The Kite Runner? Would I miss a library filled with all the books that I have read and loved, or the ability to loan my favorite books to friends and family? (Except for Dawny, whom I don't loan to anymore...book-napper!)   Would I miss the piles of books around the house that somehow made me feel well rounded, well read and maybe a little more enlightened?

Now that I have used the Kindle for two years, it is one of my favorite things. When we go on vacation I can bring as many books as I desire. I have no worries about how many books to pack or weight restrictions. No concerns about bringing a book that I don't like or getting caught reading the summer smut that I've convinced my sister-in-law I am above reading. No matter what the circumstance, a best-seller, self-help book or Scrabble is right at my fingertips! With the Kindle, I don't have to dust any novels or look at a rapidly growing mountain of books next to my bed that didn't make it to the library of book shelves. I just turn on my kindle, mac, or phone and my library appears.

When I first saw pictures of this book lined staircase from an apartment in London, I immediately felt inspired. I was unexpectedly excited for those dusty books next to my bed. Wouldn't they look perfect tucked neatly away under my stairs!? I knew the only thing standing in the way of my own Amazing staircase was a crowbar, some burled walnut and the dewey decimal system. Then again......my bookshelves at home have never looked like this and my kindle keeps all of my new books nice and tidy! Maybe the more realistic motivation is to clean out my own book shelves and someday build my own Amazing staircase.

Until then Dawny, I think there are some books coming your way!

1 comment:

rhe said...

I love your courage, your quotes, and your insight. You inspire me. Keep it coming!

Post a Comment

 
;